Sometimes the smallest changes can make the biggest differences. Whether it’s putting on a new pair of shoes before a run or giving the office standing desk a try, making small adjustments in your health routine can make a big impact on your physical and mental health.
We often forget that posture can make or break the way you perform daily tasks. Your running form, your project at work, your mood when you get home at the end of the day — all of these can be affected by the way you sit and stand.
1. Slouching causes your spine to lose some of its natural curve, also known as “the arc of life.” You want to treat your arc of life well: poor posture and spinal health will lead to an overall decrease in brain and organ function. Both of which are just about as fun as they sound.
2. Go ahead and blame your terrible mood on your slumped shoulders. Research shows that assuming different postures can affect your psyche. On one hand, poor posture can significantly increase your stress levels, depression and fear.
3. On the other hand, Amy Cuddy aptly notes how a “power pose” — shoulders back, straight spine, head high — can boost your confidence and reduce stress… not to mention make you look fabulous.
4. That poor posture of yours might make you want to find another job. The Ohio State University discovered that a slumped over posture makes people less confident in their workplace skills and qualifications.
5. Posture goes beyond sitting. One study found that two minutes of skipping versus walking in a slouched position can make a significant difference in your energy levels. The process of changing the chemistry in your brain can take just two minutes. Waiting for your lunch to microwave has never been more empowering.
6. The 2:00 p.m. slump is a real struggle — and it’s not all in your head. Our research shows that your posture takes its worst hit of the day at this hour.
7. Think you have better back form than your desk mate? We’ve found that men have consistently better posture than women — on average, about 20 percent better.
While a day spent slouching can cause physical health problems and aching muscles, the emotional and mental effects of standing up straight can carry some serious weight. Improving work performance, feeling happy and exuding confidence are all possible with a little nudge in the right direction.
Start your habit change today with Lumo Lift
Lumo Lift is a small lightweight wearable that tracks your posture and daily activity, such as steps taken, distance travelled and calories burned. Compatible with iOS/iPhone, Windows desktop and select Android devices. Free shipping, 30-day money-back guarantee and 1 year limited warranty.